Monday, January 7, 2013

Blog Post 8

Song lyrics, Otherside by Macklemore

The implied reader in these lyrics is saying how drugs and hip hop go hand in hand together. Rappers sing to their listeners about how they get high and run from the cops, but in the end it puts this idea into their listeners head that doing that is cool and if they want to be like their favorite rapper they too should be doing drugs and running from the cops. In this song it talks about how everyone at some point wants to be someone and do something but once they start taking drugs it becomes part of their life and all their dreams and hopes go out the window because now their dream is to just get more that drug they're on. Another main point the actual reader wants to enforce is the idea of overdose. One of the lyrics they say how he was sippin on his cup but he never got up. It's saying before you know it your drug use becomes an addiction and the next thing you know you're gone.

Actual reader in these lyrics for me it just shows you that doing drugs isn't everything. You don't need to do the same drugs as your favorite artist to feel cool like them. Doing drugs and letting them take over your life isn't cool, it isn't right. This song related to me as a friend of mine got addicted to Heroin last year. I can't tell you why she did it or why it took over her life but it did. She would always call me up asking me to borrow her large amounts of cash. I stopped talking to her because I knew that by giving her money I was just feeding her addiction. It really sucks going through that and turning your back on a friend. Every time I listen to this song I am always reminded of her because she was the first one to show me this song, but now it just is about her in a way. This song is real and is a rap song that is actually about something important. It isn't just about women, getting faded, or about running from the cops. I think everyone should listen to this song because it'll make you realize how dumb it is to just do something because you think it'll make you "cool".

I think that it is always important to think about the reader when you are reading something. What made them write this? Did they go through this? When you think about the reader it's easier to relate to them along with their work. There are plenty of books I've read were when I'm reading them I think to myself, "wow this completely goes along with how I'm feeling right now." Then I wonder to myself did the author go through this too? When you read something that relates to you no matter how bad you're feeling it's always a little comforting to know that someone out there has gone through what you're going through and lived through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment